"To celebrate the life and legacy of Ulysses S. Grant through preservation and education."

                                                                             - Our Mission Statement

     Chartered in 1970, the US Grant Homestead Association seeks to preserve and promote the life and legacy of US Grant as a young boy, a general, and 18th President of the United States. In partnership with the Ohio History Connection, the historical sites of his boyhood home and schoolhouse are staffed and maintained by the Association. 

Through living history, volunteer outreach, and public presentations, we strive to keep local history alive and approachable. The culmination of this is our annual US Grant Days, held every year on his birthday, where we explore the life and times of our native son.

─── Boyhood Home ───

Photo courtsey of Patrick Shepherd

Photo courtsey of Patrick Shepherd

The boyhood home of Ulysses S. Grant is located at 219 East Grant Avenue in Georgetown. Built in 1823, additions to the home were made in 1825 and 1828, and many more times after it was sold in 1840's.

Slated for demolition in the early 1980's, the property was saved by John and Judy Ruthven. Designated a National Historic Landmark, it was opened for visitors in 1982. Today, it is the property of the Ohio History Connection, and maintained by the Assoc.


─── School House ───

Photo courtesy of Patrick Shepherd

Photo courtesy of Patrick Shepherd

The two-room school attended by Ulysses Grant is at 508 South Water Street in Georgetown. It was built in 1829 and served as Georgetown's one-room schoolhouse for over twenty years until it was replaced in 1852.

The building was turned over to the Ohio History Connection in 1941, and it now maintained by the Association. The schoolhouse is regularly staffed, and can be toured with the homestead. For a more in-depth look at Grant's and other schoolhouses, read our Legacy of Learning ebook


─── Tannery ───

Photo courtesy of Chuck Smith

Photo courtesy of Chuck Smith

Located directly across the street from the Boyhood Home, the tannery served as the Grant family's livelihood for many years. Built in 1823 by Jesse Grant, it was no favorite place of young Ulysses, and work there helped steer him towards West Point and the Presidency. 

The building has only recently been acquired by the Association, and is currently not open to visitors.


─── Native Son Statue ───

  Erected in the north corner of the courthouse square, the statue was the culmination of decade's worth of dedicated work between the Association and the village of Georgetown.

Based on the presidential statue in the capitol rotunda, the marble base is engraved with vignettes depicting Grant's time as general and president. 

He stands with his sword and riding coat, face set south to the river beyond. His jacket bears four stars, denoting him as Commanding General of the United States Army.

A landmark since its dedication in the summer of 2012, the statue can be viewed at any time of the day or night.

Surrounding the statue's base are custom-engraved bricks, which continue to help provide for maintenance and upkeep. They can be purchased and installed year-round, see our order form for instructions